Thursday, March 18, 2010

My First Post

It's my first post....and I don't even know where to begin.
Well, I've been diabetic for almost six years now. I was an animas pumper from 2005-2009 and have since switched to minimed! I'm loving the minimed pump and am now working on getting a Dexcom CGM. I'm really hoping that a continous glucose monitor will help keep my BGs in a better range. My last A1c was 9.7....ouch!
I'm also a nutrition major at Keene State College and love to eat healthy. Today I got a book called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld! It's amazing! It contains "Simple secrets to get you kids eating good food." No, I'm not a mom and don't plan on becoming one for a very long time, but I love finding new ways to incorporate vegetables and other healthy foods into my diet! I actually already made one of the recipes:
Scrambled Eggs (with cauliflower)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup cauliflower puree
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
  • Pinch of salt
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

All you do is whisk the ingredients together and then cook them like you would normally good scrambled eggs! They were delicious! I ate it with a slice of whole wheat toast and an orange. I pretty much only boluses for the toast and orange and my blood sugar was steady all morning! Usually I suffer very high post-meal BGs...but not with this breakfast! Yay!

I've also been following Rachel Garlinghouse's blog, Sugar, Spice, and More Things Nice. She made a great recipe using whole wheat pasta that I'm making tonight: Greek Spag! I can't wait to try this. It seems really quick and easy....I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen. I just read through your posts! Nice to meet you!

    Lorraine, mom of Caleb, age 7, dx Jan 07, OmniPodder and DexCommer :)

    ReplyDelete