Monday, March 22, 2010

It's been one of those days.....

Spring break is officially over....and the semester is as hectic as ever.
Today was not the best of days. I can't concentrate on anything, my feet are swollen, and I've been downing water bottle after water bottle all day long.
It all started when I had to get up super early this morning for a two hour drive back to school. I tested my blood sugar around 8am while we were in the car....still fasting....and it was 250. Why? I corrected before I went to bed and it was only 180 then. I managed to get it down to about 130 by noon.......but that's when all hell broke loose.
I went to lunch and asked for the special salad with couscous.....bad, bad decision. The guy scooped probably over a cup of the stuff. I wasn't exactly sure how many carbs were in it.....and I knew I probably shouldn't be eating a whole cup of it, but I just couldn't resist. I definately under-bolused for this tastey meal. By 3:00, my blood sugar was 358......i corrrected....3:45 it was 323. What?! I knew something was wrong when I was literally falling asleep during the falling to the side and struggling to keep my head up. I had another class from 4:00-8:00 so I decided it was best to go back to my room, change my site, test for ketones, and hope for the best. Turns out, I DID have ketones. I corrected, drank some water, and walked back to my class, but I felt so sick and I was completely out of it for the rest of the day. On top of all that, for some reason my feet and ankles keep swelling up like giant sausages. It's disgusting. I don't know if this is an allergic reaction or diabetes-related...but it's been happening at least a couple times a week. I don't think I have any foot infections either. I've been checking them and keeping them elevated...but this never seems to help too much.
It's times like this when I can't wait to learn more about this god-awful disease and be able to help others better manage it. What really makes me upset is how hard it is to manage at school. I'm on a different schedule everyday and I can't always accurately measure my food at the dining hall. When I was home for spring break, I was able to keep my numbers within a much better range....but as soon as I get back to school, everything goes down hill! I try my best to balance food, insulin, exercise, sleep, homework, and rest, but it's so complicated! I wish there was an easier way to do this!


  1. Hi,

    I found you from my blog Beta Buddies...and love getting the different perspective on D. I am the mother of Joe (6 years old...almost 7). He was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago. He is on the Animas Ping...and we are going to trial the Dexcom soon - I noticed that you are hoping to use the Dexcom as well.

    The drinking thing...ouch...I soo worry about that for Joe...luckily I have many more years before that worry will become a reality. I have read that if you go to parties...that you should always walk around with a full cup of water or something. Then people won't try to hand you a beer or pour more alcohol in your cup. Maybe you could try that. I cannot even imagine how hard that must be for you.

    May I add you to my blog-roll?

    I look forward to getting to know you and hear your insight into some of what were are dealing with. Aren't you pretty close to us? We live in the greater Burlington area in Vermont. So cool.

  2. sister,
    you tell me this stuff everyday, i know but it's much worse reading it on here. i worry about you so much sometimes. this whole foot thing is really getting to me...i hope it's not anything too serious :/ feel better karen! love you