Monday, May 3, 2010

Climbing a Mountain!

This past weekend, I went hiking with a bunch of people from Hall Council! This is a group of people from a few of the different residence halls that put together activities throughout the year. We decided it would be fun to have one last get together as a group and climb Mount Monadnack!
I've hiked this mountain before back in September, but this time I was so, so nervous. I kept thinking my blood sugar was going to get really low and I wouldn't be able to keep up with everyone. On Friday, I went to Target and bought $15 worth of food for this hike....a day hike. lol. I was popping starburst the whole way up! Well, I made it to the top safe and sound....and my blood sugar was a wonderful 137! No low!
Climibing Mount Monadnock made me realize how far I've come. When I got diagnosed almost 6 years ago, I was hesitant to do the simplest things in fear that my blood sugar would go low. Even going to get a hair cut was scary for me! What if I got low while the woman was cuttng my hair??!?!?! I couldn't give myself shots and could barely do finger pricks. Well, now I can give shots, change my pump sites, I know the carb count of almost anything edible, I know what makes me low and what makes me high....I've come so far!

Happy Monday everyone!!! I only have 3 more days of exams....then it's summer!!!


Pictures taken from T.J. O.

My future roomies and I at the summet!


The whole group!


6 comments:

  1. Way to go Karen!!! I am so happy for you :)

    And 137...AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the inspiration! I too worry about my boys...about everything they do. My 12 year old will be going to 6th grade camp in a few weeks...for THREE NIGHTS. I think I'll send some starbursts to keep in his pocket too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAHOOOOOO!!! Way to go Karen. I know Joe always worries about going low. I think that is why he loves Dexter so much. BTW we got approved...by insurance for the DexCom 7...so our trial boyfriend is out next Sunday and Dexter II arrives this Wednesday...yay. I cannot wait to hear how it works out for you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. Seriously, as a mom that offers me so much hope. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeaaa Karen! I love you sooo so much!! I can't wait to be home in 2 weeks with you and do even more adventerous things! Good luck on all your exams!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to tell you, you are an inspiration to me! My six year old daughter was just diagnosed 2 months ago. I happened across your blog and love it! It gives me so much hope for the future. Great job on climbing your mountain both literally and figuratively. I feel like we are standing at the bottom staring up not knowing how or if we'll ever get to the top. With just one step at a time, I think soon we'll be able to look back and see how far we have come. Thanks for sharing your life through your blog!

    ReplyDelete