Saturday, April 17, 2010

EXPO!

Today I went to the Connecticut Diabetes Expo!

I had a great time! I met other diabetics, learned about new products, and got lots of free stuff!


One thing that's always bothered me was the fact that I can't give blood. This is something I've always wanted to be able to do in order to save other's lives. Well, there was a Yale New Haven Hospital Clinical Research table set up at the expo. I walked up to the table and asked what they were all about. They told me they were looking for people with autoimmune diseases to give blood for one of their doctors to use in his research. (He's researching different genes that are involved with these diseases). I participated and am really happy with my decision. This is almost like donating blood to the American Red Cross...almost. Because I participated in this clinical research, I could be helping this doctor find something new about diabetes that was never before known. This could bring us one step closer to a cure and save millions of lives! WOO!

I also registered for the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure! I'm so so so excited about this. I used to participate in the JDRF's Walk to Cure Diabetes every year, but haven't been able to since I started college. The Tour de Cure is in June...so I can! yay!

I really went to the expo to learn more about different CGMs. I've been going back and forth between the minimed sensor and the Dexcom. I was hoping that by going to the expo, I would be able to make a decision....but now I'm just even more confused about which one I should get! Since I'm already on a minimed pump, it seems like it makes more sense to get the minimed sensor. I would allow me to have everything under one system.....

There's just something I like about the Dexcom more....

I recently talked to a Dexcom rep. who's also on a minimed pump. She said she started with the minimed sensor, but was really disappointed with the results she was getting. She said the numbers her glucometer were giving her and the patterns the sensor was showing her just weren't adding up!

I have NO idea what to do! Does anyone have any experience with either of these systems????

I really think that by using a CGM, I'll be able to get my A1c back down to a 6.0-7.0 again!

If you've never been to one of these expos, I strongly recommend attending one! It's so informative and there are all sorts of free screenings...eyes, bones, feet, kidneys, heart...everything! This was a great experience!

5 comments:

  1. We got the Minilink for Maddison, used it on her twice....I LOVE it for the trends it provides, especially over night so you can see exactly what time numbers start to go up or down. Easier to make adjustments this way without poking fingers every hour. Maddison's sensors were mostly VERY accurate, within 10-30 points. The most helpful are the arrows that show when BS is dropping! But, Maddison is 9. She hates wearing the sensor, so, now I use it for me when things start to go crazy.

    For myself, I do LOVE the sensor and find it is most accurate when lower (under 280) The selling decison for the minilink was, obviously, we have the medtronic pump. I couldnt imagine having to carry ANOTHER device!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where is the tour de cure going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a great time! I am so happy for you, as far as CGM's, pumps etc, I am of no help in that arena. Both of my daughters still take insulin injections, but we are working towards changing that someday :)

    CONGRATS on registering for the ADA Tour de Cure! That is something I have wanted to do since my girls were diagnosed, I recently did an event with JDRF called "Spin to Cure Diabetes" That was a lot of fun :) I look forward to hearing more about your experience with the Tour de Cure in June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...Joe tried the minimed CGM when he was 4 years old and we have a close friend using it right now on her little boy. The things I did NOT like about it is...large insertion needle. The numbers were way off...it has like a 10 to 15 minute lag time, which is too much in a labile little guy and may not be the case in adults whose numbers do not fluctuate as much.

    Dexcom...has been AWESOME. Small insertion needle compared to the competition. Only a 5 minute lag time. We have been using it for 10 days now...it has been spot on for 8 of them...pretty darn good.

    I am no expert on either...but this is my 2 cents. I hope it helps!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. We are in CT also, but didn't make it to the expo. I wonder how close we are to each other. Caleb has been using DexCom since September and we've been pleased. I'd be happy to share our experiences in more detail - just email me. :)

    ReplyDelete