Tuesday, April 27, 2010

DEXCOM!!

Well, the semester is coming to an end and it's very bitter-sweet. I'm going to miss my friends from school so much this summer, but it will be nice to have a break from the work and have a steady income again. It's also going to give me lots and lots of quality time with my new DEXCOM! I can't even describe how excited I am about this. I really don't want to get my hopes up, but I think this might help me gain better control over my blood sugars.

I've been talking to DexCom and Medtronic reps for weeks now about the pros and cons of each system and have always come up with more pros than cons for DexCom. The only con I can think of is having a whole seperate system to carry around, but I always have my purse on my anyways. Another thing I love about the DexCom is the customer service I've recieved so far. The reps have been so informative and kind. They even started texting me instead of making so many calls because it's more convenient for me with classes and all. I hope they continue to be this supportive if I ever have any problems! After I made my final decision to get the DexCom, insurance approved me and it will be at my house Friday! I'm very optimistic about this system and will keep everyone up-to-date with how it's working for me!

I'm also excited that I MIGHT be a counselor at Camp Carefree in NH this summer! I haven't gotten the job yet, but I had my first interview on Sunday and I think it went okay. They haven't had any nutrition-focused counselors for a number of years and said they would love have some once again. Hopefully I gain some experience in working with other diabetics this summer through this camp!

4 comments:

  1. That is so exciting Karen!!! I hope that it all works out great for you, keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Karen... I am psyched that you too will be enjoying the bonuses of Dexter. He lies once in awhile, but he has been invaluable around here. I am hoping Joe gets insurance approval. We only have a week and a half to go on our trial...I can honestly say I am going to cry when he goes.

    Also, congrats on the Camp Counselor position. I cannot wait to hear more about it. I have been wanting to send Joe to some sort of D-Camp up here in New England...thought I would wait until next year when he is 8. Let me know the ages, etc...that they can start attending. I'd love to meet you in real life and for you to meet Joe.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I've used a Dexcom for over 3 years. It's really improved my control. They've made many improvements to the system over that time, except for reducing the size of the receiver. There's a pumpers group that meets in Woburn MA each month. Many of the pumpers have CGMs, it's a good opportunity to ask folks about the different devices (mostly Navigator and Dexcoms). Drop me a note (bernard at bernardfarrell dot com) if you need the details on the meeting or you'd like to meetup at any stage (I'm in northern MA).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I hope you like it as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete