Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Progress...

Hey everyone! I'm back with an update! In terms of my overall health, I've been doing much, much better. I've gone running and have also attempted some exercising in my box of a room. Now that it's getting darker a bit later, it's been so much easier for me to get out and go for some runs after work! I'm determined to keep up with the cardio at least 3 or 4 days per week. I have also started volunteering with a program called New York Cares. Yesterday, I helped serve lunch at a senior center on my day off. It was great to get out and do something to help others outside of the hospital. I am excited to get involved with more of their projects! In terms of my diabetes control...that's also been better! I think my major issue is I'm using the same area (my back side) too often. As much as I hate it, I've started to use my stomach and have noticed a significant difference in my numbers. This happened to me once about 4 years ago. I saw a nurse who specialized in absorption issues and discovered I was using the same site too often and, again, started to rotate on my stomach as well. Now that I've started using my stomach, I'm mainly seeing numbers 90-140. I just need to tweek my morning insulin:carb ratios (my post-breakfast numbers are about 190-230), but that's always been an issue for me. Overall, I'm very pleased with my control over the past couple of weeks. I'm also excited to say that I'll be attending an insulin pump fair next week! I cannot wait to see the latest and greatest diabetes technology out there. I've been sporting my Medtronic Paradigm for about 3 years now. I'm not sure when I'm due for an upgrade, but I'm hoping soon. I'll definitely be back with an update with how this goes!

1 comment:

  1. Karen -
    I am a dad of 10 year old who was diagnosed with T1D in october of 2011...this is the first time I have read your blog, and I only had to read you last 2 posts to be moved to comment...I am pleased to hear of your better control and wanted to encourage you to keep it up...right now my son has my wife and myself to keep him in check and I worry about when he is your age...it is hectic, and I remember times being caught between being an "adult" and still having fun, I can't imagine mixing in T1D into of that...you comments are reassuring and I just wanted to tell you how awesome your goals are (and how cool it is to be at one of the top medical centers in the country)...good luck !!! and thanks for being a role model (I am going to print these for when Aidan hits his 20's)

    ReplyDelete