Thursday, May 16, 2013

Accomplishments



We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small - think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.). (Thanks to Hilary of Rainie and Me for this topic suggestion.)

Becoming independent with my care is probably my greatest accomplishment. I was diagnosed the summer before going into high school. I remember about a month or so after I was diagnosed, my sister and I were invited on a camping trip up in Maine. My mom broke the news that she didn't think I should go since I was so newly diagnosed...I was devastated....but who knows what would have happened without her there. She was still doing all my injections, still checking up on me in the middle of the night to make sure I was still breathing. There was no way I could have gone on that camping trip without her.

Fast forward a few months to October. My friend invited me to her Halloween party...it was a slumber party. I was SO SCARED that my mom was going to have to come and give me my dinner and breakfast injection. Being in high school, all I wanted was some independence. Luckily, I was able to successfully give myself both my dinner and breakfast injections without my mom coming to help me. I honestly think that was my proudest moment. Before that moment, I felt like I was on a leash. Just as I was starting to gain some independence at the end of middle school, it was almost like it was all taken away from me in an instant after the diagnosis. Going to that party without having to call my mom to come give me a shot gave me the confidence I needed to take on more and more responsibilities in my diabetes care.

Now, fast forward to today. I'm 22...out of college...and have total independence. I'm so proud of how far I've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment