Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm Back!

I haven't posted anything for over a month! ahhh! But don't worry, I've been keeping myself busy!

Working at the retirment home has gotten a lot better....they've finally stopped pestering me about my medical ID bracelet. My boss found out I was a nutrition major and actually approached me about helping out at the resident's farmer's market wanting me to provide education materials about nutrition and diseases....especially about diabetes! I was really excited, but the farmer's market got cancelled as they couldn't get enough farmers to participate. Oh well.

I also have a newly diagnosed diabetic living with me.....my mom. She's a nurse at a long-term care facility. One day, she decided to test her BG with one of their glucometers just for fun...her fasting glucose was 285. ahhh! After that she started testing with one of my old meters and she continually hovered in the 200s. Well, I guess she hasn't been formally diagnosed yet, but we're pretty positive that she's a type 2 diabetic. She's meeting with her doctor tomorrow so I'll keep eveyrone posted!


On June 13th, my sister and I participated in the Tour de Cure! We ended up doing the 50K...which was a bit ambitious for two girls who did literally NO training all summer. Well, we took our bikes out once in May.....but not for 30 miles. I ended up finishing the ride with no lows! Yay!
My sister had quite a different experience. She has a bad knee....she messed it up swimming breastroke. I lost her within the first 3 minutes. When I got to the first rest stop, I waiting 15 minutes for her...she never came. I tried calling her...my mom had her phone! ahhhhh! So I just continued the ride.
I guess my mom got a call from a random number......my sister was at a nail salon! What?! I guess she accidently started following the 100 mile route. We she realized this she basically said screw it, saw a nail salon, and sat in there for two hours until someone came to pick her up. LOL. That's Christi for ya!
Well, we ended up raising more money than we thought we would! I can't wait to do it again next year!



There's Christi and I before the ride! Being diabetic, I got a snazzy shirt, bandana, and bracelet. =]

I have my 3 month endo checkup tomorrow and am anxious to see how it goes. I've been having much tighter control with my numbers, so hopefully my A1c has gone down some!

Oh, and here's a fun pic. I went to a dairy farm with my mom and sister a few weeks ago and saw a bunch of cows with what looked like Dexcom sensors, so I took a pic for all to see. They're for the farmers to tell if any of the cows have been trying to mate. I guess the sensor breaks off or cracks or something....but I'm just going to pretend that the cow is a diabetic just like me. =]


Happy hump day everyone!

4 comments:

  1. First off - GOOD LUCK at ENDO Today!!!!

    Secondly - AWESOMENESS on the Tour De Cure. Your sister sounds like a character for sure. And yeah on the no lows.

    Lastly, the COW PIC is hilarious! I am going to show Joe right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear from you again. Glad things are going well for you. Great job on the Tour De Cure! I love the cow pic! Good luck at the Endo today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're doing well! Way to go on the bike ride---funny story!

    Hope all goes well at the endo today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your Tour de Cure victory!!! That is awesome!!!

    Sorry to hear about your mom, I hope that all goes well at the doctors for her.

    ReplyDelete