Friday, May 14, 2010

Exercise

Exercise has always been a pretty big part of my life. I've dabbled in various sports...basketball, softball, soccer, gymnastics, track and field. The two sports I loved the most were swimming and tennis. I was on a swim team for years and I played tennis for my high school. So, yeah, I never really had a problem getting exercise...until I got to college. I didn't have any commitments to teams, so it was a little hard to get into the habit of visiting the gym on a regular basis.
Then I realized how AWFUL I felt without physical activity and got moving. I now go to the gym everyday! I feel soooo much better too. The one problem I have is figuring out a good blood sugar to work out with. Lately I'm finding that if it's not in the mid 200s, I get low really fast. I just don't know if this is a safe number. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do about this??? My Dr. tells me to just bolus for half of my dinner, but even this causes me to go low!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karen...awesome job on incorporating exercise. After dinner activity is rough for us too. I would definitely bolus for less of dinner if only bolusing for half isn't working try bolusing for even less or add a little extra treat in there (something with a little fat to keep you up)...have you tried decreasing your basal a couple of hours prior to exercise? That is another option. It is so hard to figure what d is gonna do...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you try bolusing for 1/3 of your food instead of 1/2?
    When I swim/Aqua Boot camp, I don't bolus for my breakfast and I cut my basal rate by 2/3rd's 2 hours prior to class.
    Kelly K

    ReplyDelete